Sunday, December 5, 2010

What the Random?

Most random text ever: Hey, Jaenelle, this summer we're going to open a jewelry booth and tour at different Renaissance Faires across the country.  In my head, I'm thinking, "not that it will happen, but man, I've always wanted to!" The next text comes a few minutes later, "nix the jewelry booth, merchandise costs a fortune.  Let's perform instead! I can play the harp and you can sing, we should do it!"
Sounds crazy, right?  After all, the economy is tanking and come June, I'll have this handy piece of paper certifying my undergraduate degree.  Then again, the economy is tanking and try as I might, the only road that seems open before me is retail.  Granted such a job would pay some of the bills.  But my previous plans of working on Capitol Hill, a publishing house, or a NPO seems further and further away.
I replied with a "Let's do it!", thinking, well, it doesn't hurt trying, right?  At least it would be an entertaining dream to make the future seem less bleak. 
However, the more Pepper and I talked about it, the more viable our craziness became.  Maybe because on some level we're both romantics.  Living on the road, scraping our resources together for food and gas, camping out every night, and, of course, working in a fun atmosphere.  It probably doesn't hurt that we both want to be writers, which means the more out of the ordinary experiences we can participate in, the more material we have to draw from.
It all came to a head last night at Denny's, where all ideas sound genius at one in the morning.  Pepper and I committed to at least trying to make this happen.  Neither of us knows what will come of it, but for me, I'm excited to reconnect with music once more.  After my awful experiences in high school choir, I had vowed to never sing in public again.  I'm still terrified.  Singing is a form of vulnerable I have spent the past four years shying away from.  Writing is one thing.  My blood turns to ink and I can draw my vulnerability out of my body and onto paper.  But singing...music and body are one and the same.
I digress.  So, today we put up a myspace page and right now my photo is serving as our poster-child until we get some costumes together and have a real photo shoot. Another friend, Aspen, has joined our ranks and today we've been researching various faires to send demos to.  I took a crash GarageBand course, so at least that won't cost us much.  And if no Faire's hire us, then at least we'll have a story about that one time we thought spending several months as homeless musicians sounded like a good idea.--Jaenelle

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to be proud to say I was there that night at Denny's when the coolest group ever was formed! Let me know if there's anything I can do to make this dream a reality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You three are crazy, but I love guys you all the more for it.

    ReplyDelete