Friday, December 10, 2010

The Rantings of a Self-absorbed, Middle-Class White Girl

So while the majority of our time as a "band" has been spent attempting to work out the logistics of driving across the country with no money (things like showers and places to change are just some of the topics in question) we've also decided to set some goals for this blog. Now, don't be offended by what I'm about to say, I hate a lot of the blogs I read. Mainly because all they do is catalog what little Timmy did that morning, while simultaneously ignoring correct spelling and punctuation. I'm sorry if you have a blog like that, but I'd rather chew sand then have something I'm associated with spiral down into that formulaic nonsense. I'm not the only one who feels this way incidentally, ever read Seriously, So Blessed?

That said, I think there are a lot of incredibly interesting, intelligent people who do amazing things with their blog. Hopefully this blog, will be the latter. Therefore, in an effort to facilitate good writing and interesting posts, the three of us have been thinking about what we want to accomplish, not really for this blog, but more with this entire project. So here it goes, the things I hope to gain from this experience.

 First on the list: see the United States. I did a lot of traveling during my undergraduate degree, 99% of it outside of the US, this is my chance to see some of my homeland.

Second, I need to experience something new and different so I can write about it (I really want to be a writer incidentally) and I know that the Renaissance Fair can offer me that. I once spoke with a friend who was involved with creative writing as well, and he said something very profound about writing; he said that often the best writers are not people who have had more school, but the people who have experienced more in life. I think that he's probably right.

Third, and most importantly, I need to find some sense of direction in my life. Time for a bit of confession, I recently graduated with my MA in English Literature and for the past six years of my collegiate life the goal has always been to go on to a PhD program. However, I ended up having to take a year off between my MA and a PhD and now that the time is here to actually go to a PhD program, I'm not sure that it's what I want anymore. In fact, I'm not sure about ANYTHING I want anymore. Where do I want to live? Do I want to be an professor? Do I want to be an art museum curator (another career I've been considering)? Do I want to be a writer? If so, where do I get the money for that? Do I want to get married? Do I want to have children? Do I want to stay in the Renaissance Fair for the rest of my life? I don't know anymore!

I'm desperately hoping that this trip (and some much needed introspection and self-reflection) will offer up a few answers.

So there you are, you have it all. Hopefully, you now think that a) I am fascinating and that b) my blog is fascinating. If not and you think a I'm self-absorbed, middle-class white girl, just keep that thought to yourself. Incidentally, I was joking about spending the rest of my life playing in renaissance fairs; I don't think that's a smart career move.--Pepper

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. I envy the adventure you'll have this summer! Good luck with the demo CD and everything, and I think the blog is great so far. :)

    I hope you guys do the Faire in Ogden in May so I can see y'all.

    ReplyDelete